Wednesday, November 4, 2009

ZZZzzZzzzZZzzz (Z) is for Sleep


My Coworker used to say, "My kingdom for sleep..."  I think we all feel that way sometimes, especially those of you with kiddies.


Two nights ago I watched a documentary about sleep, more like the lack of it, with respect to the movie production industry.  On set people work 15-18 hour days on average and as usual, it took the death of a director for people to stand up and demand 12 hour maximum days, at least within the U.S..  Europeans innately understand the idea and principal of rest, and therefore have conflicts with U.S. production crews when they film abroad with their "you can sleep when you're dead" attitude.  I guess you can hide overtime in a budget, but not extra days.


A medical team performed a sleep-study and the effects of sufficient/insufficient sleep on the brain.  It's funny to think that humans are the only beings on Earth that try to fight sleep.  All other creatures sleep when they're tired. Hmmm.  While watching the documentary I flashbacked  to the past; driving when I was ridiculously tired, the missing of freeway exits, seeing things that weren't there, etc.   I read an article that stated that being awake for 18 hours was equivalent to having a blood alcohol content (b.a.c.) level of 0.7, and being up for 24 hours was equivalent to a b.a.c. of 1.0. (drunk).  Now imagine working or driving like that? (http://moneywatch.bnet.com/career-advice/article/sleep-well-and-prosper/275734/)


In a hospital, you don't sleep much either.  I was hospitalized from 12/25/08-4/3/09 and I didn't sleep a full night the entire time.  Funny how they want you to rest, but wake you up every other hour.  I was woken up every 2 hours at night to be turned (just to prevent pressure wounds/bed sores), and woken up every day @ 5:30 a.m. to get bathed, and if not then, then at 6:00 a.m. to take meds.  Everyday in rehab was a barrage of physical/occupational therapy.  Free time was me getting in and out of bed, changing clothes, and getting my brace on and off.  I had a few moments on Sundays to just rest and visit with friends.


Now I can sleep about 6 hours straight unless I have to empty my bladder or turn myself.  I'm still a night owl, but can sleep in a little more these days.




But oh, my kingdom for sleep.  Do you feel me?






and...
HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY TO SESAME STREET!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
You haven't won over me yet.. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino