Sunday, May 24, 2009

New Wine Skins

Today was a good day, painful, yet good. I was able to make it to church because I promised myself that no matter what, I'd be there. My Pastor (A.J.) was passing on the torch of church leadership to the new Pastor (Manny). Both of them have been instrumental in my walk with God. Well actually, the whole church has been key to my walk with God. It was good to be home. I haven't had that feeling in almost a year and now I was experiencing it with new gratitude.

It wasn't my time to go home yet, but it was Mr. Daniels. He was an amazing man through and through. He was an "e
xperience". As the saying goes, "They broke the mold when they made him". Mr. D was such an inspiration on how to live life. The superintendent (ahhhhh) of our conference gave the sermon today and he used the example of new wine skins. The idea of change and how you dealt with it. Would you use an unshrunk piece of material to patch up a pre-shrunken material? No because it would eventually shrink w/ washing and create another hole in the fabric. Would you put new wine in old wine skins? No because the old wine skins would burst. The same goes with change. For instance I can't live my life with the old mind set on how I used to do things. I need to adapt my way of thinking and processing. I can still do what I used to do, but with some creativity and a lot of drive. God has given me the heart to do all things and all things are possible with God. My life is a daily testimony to that. Mr. and Mrs. Daniels expressed this idea not with words, but with actions. He was the older gentleman that still wore ties and suits to church, brought his bible faithfully, and loved hymns, yet he and his wife would purposely sit with the youth who were the complete opposite because he knew that it would take a different approach, an honest heartfelt approach to share the real love of God with them.

Carolyn and Dan Daniels were married 60-some-odd years and are some of the people that I really look up to. They told me briefly about the adoption of their daughters. I kn
ew that adoption was something I really considered when it came to having children though some people are very pessimistic/hesitant when the topic of adoption comes up. I recall Mr. D. saying (when asked about sexual preference by the adoption agency) that "Either make or model was fine" They had no bias, just a lot of love to give. How amazing. When I grow up I want to be like them. Thank you Daniels!

Friends who know me know that I was very active at church prior to all of the life changes, hence the idea of my training wheels being removed. It was time to put my faith in front of me, to trust in each consecutive step. A lot of people search for themselves, for their purp
ose in this life, and ultimately want to know what happens when we're done with this life (for all you philosophy majors). My friend's brother said it best. Death is not a period, but a comma. And then....

We all have opinions and belief syst
ems in place, most with a common foundation. I'm no theologian, and am far from a place to pass judgment, but I can share what I've figured out. I have learned to pray for two things. How to pray, and for God to give me more wisdom. Many people dear to me have shared with me what they'd figured out and we just keep telling people with the desire of passing on good news.

On
e thing I can say is that I was given an amazing present for Christmas. My family: My biological family, my Church family, my dance family, my childhood friends, and my lifelong friends. In church we are taught that we belong to the body of Christ. Each of us being important similar to each part of our body having purpose and being important for something. Like when you want God to listen to you or you need a hug or a high five, we are tangibly that body of Christ. When I need a hug from someone who loves me unconditionally or I need answers about something, I know there is someone in my church family who can physically give me those things. God is working through them. God worked through each and every one of you when He sent you my way. You were my angels during one of the hardest times in my life. I'm eternally grateful for the way He worked in you to help me pass the time while I waited for surgery, while I recovered, while I healed. I think of that theatrical phrase, "Send in the clowns". You know when things aren't going so great, they would send in the clowns. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for lifting me up.



Living Sacrifices
Romans 12:1-8

1.Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, act of worship. 2. Do not conform1.Therefore, I urge you, any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will. 3. For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. 4. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5. so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8. if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.

Some quotes from friends:
Overcome your uncertainties and free yourself from dwelling on sorrow. If you delight in existence, you will become a guide to those who need you, revealing the path to many. -
Sutta Nipata

“Happiness is different from pleasure. Happiness has something to do with struggling and enduring and accomplishing.”- George Sheeha

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
You haven't won over me yet.. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino