Thursday, April 14, 2011

Landslide

A landslide is always ready to happen.   It takes but a moment, an intense occurrence in order for it to be set off.

For me that was the accident, but this huge paradigm shift was set in motion years ago as many momentous life events are.

A couple of years ago I had abnormal cells on my uterus and had a few biopsies done in order to determine whether the cells were benign or malignant (read cancerous).  After a few tests, they were, well, just abnormal.  Seems perfectly normal to me that my life was abnormal.  I went through several rounds of hormone adjustment/replacement therapy and my hormones haven't been the same since.  In fact all of this "therapy" had set off regular bouts of PMS; mood swings, tenderness, cramps, crying...the works.

Since my return home, K's hormones have been setting the pheromone pace around here and well, when she's cycling, I'm cycling...sigh.

My brother and his wife live with us and have decided to move into my old room, next to his, because it's bigger.  It makes sense, they shouldn't be living in a tiny room when a bigger one is available, and let's face it, I won't be living in that room anytime soon.  (It's on the 2nd floor, a place I won't be going for a while.)  It's so close and so far.

Today they brought down the contents of my closet.  A typical girl's closet.  Clothing worn to death, clothing that I hoped to fit in after dieting and exercising and such, things I just had to have because they were on sale, and a few pieces that just felt like a dream that I could wear over and over and over again, the "timeless" pieces.

As I sorted through the items, I went through the lyrics of a song, Landslide by Fleetwood Mac.


I took my love and I took it down
Climbed a mountain and turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow-covered hills
Till the landslide brought it down


donate...

give away...

maybe mom, M or U, or even K would like these...

I was giving myself away and didn't care.  They were just pieces of clothing.  Towards the end, I found old work smocks and badges that signified some of the first changes of my life.  In 1997 I had moved out and got a new job at the same time and had no choice but to make it work.  These work pieces reminded me of those times.   I felt independent, strong, tired.  Then I came across more mature pieces, suits from a time when I tried to get into business for myself....that didn't work out.  A D.U.I. assured the end of that chapter.  Even the prom dress that I wore in 1993 was of no interest to me..."donate"...

The last piece I came across in the last pile for the night had the jacket I was wearing when I was hit by the car and paralyzed.  The Landslide was set off.  I examined it for signs of trauma, dirt, scrapes, something!  There was nothing.  Like the accident never happened...."donate"...move on.


Oh, mirror in the sky - What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changin' ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?
I don't know, I don't know


I kept a few pieces and "heed & hawed" over a few that I eventually kept others to remember myself by.  It wasn't much.  Months ago I heard this song and realized that I was afraid of changing, that I was addicted to my old life, to who I was. It will never be.  I need to let go, move on, go on to the next chapter..."keep", or shall I say "keepsake".

Well, I've been afraid of changin'
Because I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder, even children get older
And I'm getting older, too



A new chapter is in progress.  Listening to emo songs while having a cocktail are not helping me emotionally right now.  With God's strength I'm understanding that though the path is present, yet unclear, that God's will is at hand.  I pray for clarity, strength, and peace daily.

Oddly enough, "Life Goes On" by the Beatles has begun at this very moment, lol.  Ob la di, Ob la da.  A sign?  Maybe, Ok, it IS a sign.  Life goes on...


So, take my love, take it down
Climb a mountain and turn around
And if you see my reflection in the snow-covered hills
Well, the landslide will bring it down
The landslide will bring it down 


Though changes will happen in your life, don't be afraid.  Sure, they will hurt, you will struggle, but by the grace of God, loved ones: friends, family, unexpected strangers, will be there to encourage and carry you.  Trust in God and go forward.  Don't get stuck being addicted to who you were and move on. 

You can't open the next chapter of the book until you close the last one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
You haven't won over me yet.. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino