Saturday, October 10, 2009

FIRSTS


Everyday is difficult and full of pain, but I can say that the known difficulties and pains are red
ucing....only to present different challenges. Nothing new for any of us though. Now that the really difficult part is over I'm being presented with time and organization challenges. These are old friends as they've always been my downfall. I keep track of appointments, body maintenance, paperwork galore, and now I'm reintroducing social appointments. :)


I'm experiencing "firsts" all over again. My first major accident, my first major surgery, my first wheelchair, and a cornucopia of firsts in the sense that everything I used to do needs adapting to.






But good "firsts" have come to pass as well. Including several speaking engagements at my old Jr. High school, Hillcrest Christian, and at churches. The first time at Hillcrest blessed me with the presence of girlfriends from my Jr. High. With the help of Facebook and old connections I was able to see them after twenty some odd years. I was relieved to know that they were successful and doing well and fighting the good fight like we all do, meaning that they're dealing with life along with it's challenges and victories........like we all do. There were fifth graders with a sense of wonder in seeing a tangible group of people that were once in their shoes, in their school, while eager, giddy kindergardeners were in front speaking about their favorite colors and raising their hands with the only reason being that everybody else was raising their hands. In fact, one of the young girls was the daughter of an old school mate. Wow, how time flies.

In the hospital, I met some family from my dad's side for the firs time, even though they've lived in
Southern Cali for the last, well, forever.

I've also experienced first outings by myself. I now am able to see my therapists and doctors with zero to minimal assistance. Yesterday I was able to DRIVE with hand controls during my first session of driver's prep. Woo hoo dance!

Last night was the best "first" though. I went to our salsa social (Alhambra) by myself. Though it ended a little early, it was so awesome to watch the dancing and catch up with old friends. It had been a full year since I had been there. I had come full circle.


So there are many "firsts" to come and you'll be the first to know.;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
You haven't won over me yet.. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino