Sunday, November 13, 2011

Be Still and Know That I Am God, a True Thanksgiving Message.

Psalm 46:10
Upon first hearing this verse, I felt a feeling of relief, confidence, I felt that I could finally take one long deep breath without flinching.










Today, Sunday, my ride arrived late and decided to take the longest scenic route ever because his GPS was smarter than human logic.  Sunday morning =  no traffic on the freeways, yet the GPS insisted that there was less traffic if we traveled by side street.  :/  Prior to leaving I find out that my brother, Kat, and his friends were going to dim sum this morning.  They rarely wake up early on a weekend.  I should've known.  I was upset only because I thought that it was something I'd be invited to attend once they went out again because he knows I love dim sum.  I couldn't accept the last invite because I was hospitalized for my toe.  My brother hasn't invited me to go anywhere, but he's been going out a little more, to eat, go to movies, etc etc.  blah blah blah...soooo bottom line is that I had a bad morning and was getting crankier as it went on.

I heard the verse pop up in the back of my mind.  "Be still and know that I am God.".  Realistically I didn't want to be still, I wanted to growl, punch, kick (if I could), jump, and scream to release the frustration and anger.  But I couldn't.  I begged for God to calm  me and let me make it to church.  I knew I would be o.k. if I made it to church.  I did....and I was fine.  Then God answered me.

Today's sermon was about how we carry ourselves in times of frustration, anxiousness, fear, sadness, grief, anger, and whatever else you might be experiencing that hinders you from the joy and peace that God promises.  If we waste time worrying, then we lose that much more time that could be spent praying.  If we worry about the things that we can't control, then inadvertently we should release these and pray that God would take control.  Not of just the situation but of our minds.  He won't make the troubles disappear but can provide peace while we whether the storms that we're sailing through.

Having a relationship with God is not normal, usual, regimented.  This is the separation that the world knows as a result of the first sin.  Whether you believe that or not is entirely up to you, but it's a part of my faith which is very real.  Separation is real....back to the topic.  In order to have a relationship with God, a conscientious choice must be made to seek Him, converse with Him, accept Him, trust Him, and ultimately, return the love that He already has for us.  

When you find and focus on the things that are right about a situation, like say an annoying co-worker or a busy schedule,  and release the unknown to the Almighty, then you can find a way to shift worry to prayer.  You can be still and know that He is God and know that He is with you.  Meditate on these things.

Today ended with good advice.  I found a book while shopping which summed up the "forgiveness cycle" like this:
A. Recall the hurt
B. Empathize and try to understand the act from the perpetrator's perspective
C. Be altruistic by recalling a time you were forgiven
D. Put your forgiveness into words - in a letter to be sent or NEVER sent
E. Don't dwell

  9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice....

And the God of peace will be with you.

Philippians 4:1-9

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. 

In all things give thanks.  I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow God is at work in you in huge way! thank you for blessing me!

Post a Comment

 
You haven't won over me yet.. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino