Monday, July 25, 2011

Really, something else?

Physical injury strikes again.  Two weeks ago I was heading down for some PT at C.O.R.E., a new gym that I'm attending for physical therapy.  I go at times when nobody is around to drop me off or pick me up so I've been using the motorized chair more than usual.  I was in such a hurry that I switched from my manual chair to my power chair and didn't put the strap around my legs to keep them from falling towards the sides.  

Well I hit a bump in the road at some point which caused my left foot to fall off the footplate and it ended up getting trapped under the wheel mechanism.  It was just enough that my foot wasn't crushed or fractured but it was enough to cause my foot to have friction between the wheel and the asphalt.  I heard a noise like when a plastic bag gets caught on the car and drags so I decided to check out the bottom of the chair.  I looked and saw something black under the wheels.  I thought I ran over a black shoe than realized that it was MY black shoe.  God only knows how long I had dragged my foot for but by the time I showed up to the gym, I was leaving a trail of blood and began to make a pool of blood right there.  I asked them to come out and help because I didn't want to bring a mess inside.  Turns out that I had shaved my big toe down to the bone.  BLECH!

Thankfully my therapist is well skilled when it comes to Emergency Medical Response.  He elevated my foot, put pressure on the toe and got me some water and fruit (because I'm a diabetic).  911 was called and the paramedics arrived and verified that nothing was broken.  Ollie took me to Northridge E.R. and stayed with me for awhile.  I was transferred to Cedars where I got a healthy vigorous dose of I.V. antibiotics.  Some bone was visible and I ended up being hospitalized for 1 week to make sure that the bone didn't get infected by anything on the ground.  After a week of I.V. antibiotics, about 15 movies, a diabetic hospital meal plan, I was able to go home without surgery and oral antibiotics.  I'm thankful that I can't feel the pain as my foot heals, but then again if I could have felt my foot, I probably wouldn't have been in this predicament in the first place, right?

Another day in the life of me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
You haven't won over me yet.. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino