Friday, September 11, 2009

Mom's Rhythm

The intent of this blog was to keep you informed of who I was, who I am and who I am becoming. It would only make sense to blog about the ones I love. This one's about mom.


Me and mom usually go out together, and usually with mutual ulterior motives in mind. I get her out to get her walking and away from the stress at home, and she gets me to go out because I tend to deteriorate socially if I'm home too long. It's also really good physic
al therapy for me to go out and get used to transferring in and out of cars. We go grocery and clothing shopping, to the movies, and out to dinner. Yesterday we took a drive to Malibu Beach via Topanga Canyon because she'd never, in her 40 years here, gone that route.

We had dinner about a week ago at a Japanese restaurant/Teppan house which had a very Hawaiian theme to it, in fact the Hawaiian Top 40 was blaring overhead. Neither one of us said much at the table. My mother never feels awkward though, she just absorbs the environmen
t and thinks about things that are on the never ending "to do" list. I watched her as she cast an unfocused stare towards the window of the restaurant and she started bobbing her head. "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Iz came on and I just watched her and I started to tear up. Knowing that she gives her time to me daily without any complaints made me understand how truly blessed I was. Most people would've wanted to give up by this point, but day after day she is there for me. I couldn't speak without wanting to burst into tears. I think about how much I'll miss her when she's gone and how I want to make the most out of our time together. Not just as nurse and patient, but as mother and daughter, as friends. We mutually didn't see each other for about 15 years before coming home aside from the Holidays and birthdays. It's time that we'll never get back. Sigh.

At that point, Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy" came on. She continued to bob her head rhythmically to the song. She's cute like that. Like when we watch SYTYCD (which just started this week, Yay!) she'll tap her feet and move her body empathetically as if she's dancing the routine herself. Right then I heard God say "Don't worry, Be
happy. Enjoy your time now." So I cheered up and we continued to enjoy our dinner for the night.

My mother demonstrates love to me everyday and I in turn learn how to love more and more through her example. Love is an action, not just a feeling.


I Cor 13:4-7 4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

3 comments:

Julie said...

You are both such an inspiration to me Olivia...truly. I pray and wish and hope that I will be as loving a mother as your beautiful mother to my own child...unconditionally and, likewise, as amazing, determined and optimistic as you are as a daughter, friend, companion. I truly loved seeing you and send you and your sweet mama my love. xxx

ruben said...

Your mom rocks!!!

MICKEY said...

O - this is so beautiful. It made me cry. Awe ...geeze....

This really is ...just...beautiful.

Post a Comment

 
You haven't won over me yet.. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino